Ten Networking Questions That Work Every Time
The following article is excerpted from “Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts Into Sales” by Bob Burg (McGraw-Hill). You can visit Bob’s website at www.burg.com.
1. How did you get started in your business?
People like to be the movie of the week in someone else's mind. They will share their story with you while you actively listen.
2. What do you enjoy most about your profession?
Again, it's a question that elicits a good, positive feeling.
3. What advice would you give someone just starting in your business?
This is my own mentor question. Don't we all like to feel like a mentor - to feel that our answers matter.
4. What one thing would you do with your business if you knew you could not fail?
This is this person's dream and it will give them a chance to fantasize. You will notice that people will always take a few minutes to really ponder their answer.
5. What makes your approach to the industry different?
This is an opportunity to do a little bragging.
6. What significant changes have you seen take place in your industry through the years?
This is a great question for the mature connection. They love to tell the story of change.
7. What do you see as the coming trends in your industry?
This is a great speculator question. Everyone has some ideas that elicit additional comments.
8. Describe the strangest or funniest incident you've experienced in your business.
This gives people the opportunity to share their war stories. It's fun and you can exchange with everyone!
9. What have you found to be the most effective ways to promote your business?
Again, it accentuates the positive in this person's mind. You are not looking for secrets, merely admiring their business acumen.
10. What one sentence would you like people to use in describing the way you do business?
Almost always, a person will stop and think really hard before answering this question. What a compliment you have paid. You've asked a question that the people closest to him/her have never thought enough to ask!